FGV Cambridge Nanosystems Ltd is a high tech company established in 2012 as a spin-off from the University of Cambridge. We specialise in the large scale production of ultra-high-quality graphene powders because we want to improve the performance of consumer and industrial products by incorporating and testing graphene in their various applications. Our process for making the “miracle material” graphene uses a unique [really, world-wide unique!], one-step plasma technology we’ve developed in-house.
Ready for a challenge?
We are looking for mechanical and chemical engineers with good hands-on working experience to join our team.
About the role
This is a lab based role, where you will be operating and developing our proprietary atmospheric plasma reactors. The engineer will self-sufficiently help to optimise the process of greenhouse gas cracking by designing and optimising components for purpose. You will further be involved in the effort of improving the efficiency of the graphene formation process by understanding the processes in the plasma cracking and post-plasma formation zones.
Absolute musts [you are/have]:
- You have a degree in Engineering [Chemical or Mechanical].
- You have worked hands-on as an Engineer in an industrial setting for at least 2 years.
- Which is why you are well acquainted with all things Engineering:
- reactor design & setup [hands on work]
- pressure rating joints & plumbing
- You have exemplary work-ethic, proven to be very hard working and self-motivated.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- efficient & concise reporting
- proficient IT user
- You show a marked willingness to continuously develop skills and knowledge.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK.
- You are in good physical condition and display a willingness to work overtime if required.
Further you are/have:
- done some plasma chemistry before or worked with industrial microwave systems
- are well versed with a CAD software [ideally Solidworks]
- experience in programming the LabView package
- experience in programming PLC controllers
- experience with high power industrial microwaves [TWTs]
- a very committed and energetic, multi-national team that
- develops a new and
- world-wide unique technology to make
- graphene, ‘the wonder material of the 21st century’
- by converting a greenhouse gas, thereby helping to save the planet.
What could be more rewarding?
- Regular bonding activities [like charity runs, design challenges, dinners, etc] and
- our employees enjoy free car parking.
You’ll be based in our state-of-the-art new 2500 m2 lab and office building off Newmarket Road close to the historic city centre of Cambridge with its plentiful offers of art, entertainment and sporting facilities and right by the picturesque Cam river conservatory.
Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Salary is negotiable based on experience.
To contact us about this role please send an email with your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Please only apply if you meet ALL of the ‘absolute musts’ criteria and demonstrate your suitability according to the points listed there.
Please submit your application by 5 December 2016.