FGV Cambridge Nanosystems Ltd is a high tech company established in 2012 as a spin-off from the University of Cambridge. We specialise in the large scale production of ultra-high-quality graphene powders because we want to improve the performance of consumer and industrial products by incorporating and testing graphene in their various applications. Our process for making the “miracle material” graphene uses a unique [really, world-wide unique!], one-step plasma technology we’ve developed in-house.
Microwave Engineer [high power TWT; not communication]
We are looking for an experienced high power microwave engineer to join our team in a technology automatisation and scale-up effort.
About the role
A suitable microwave engineer will use their hands-on skills to optimise our proprietary plasma reactor and help with its automatisation. This will include wave diagnostics and plasma cavity design to ensure smooth operation and minimise downtimes. You’ll be keeping up to date with microwave engineering to help implement the most efficient technology and keep performance of our reactors state-of-the-art. Key decisions about possible scale up routes will depend on your recommendations and calculations. This is a primarily lab based role.
Absolute musts [you are/have]:
- a degree in Engineering or 2 years’ work experience with high power industrial microwaves/TWTs
- demonstrated the ability to carry out measurements of various physical quantities
- proven ability to solve mechanical and electrical engineering problems
- a theoretical understanding of RF processes
- well acquainted with all things hands-on engineering:
- reactor design & setup
- pressure rating joints & plumbing
- strong verbal and written communication skills [efficient & concise reporting]
- a marked willingness to continuously develop skills and knowledge
Further you are/have:
- a degree in Microwave Engineering
- experience in programming LabView
- experience in programming PLC controllers
- experience with scaling up high power industrial microwaves
- experience working with plasmas
- worked with atmospheric pressure microwave plasmas
- FEA modelling skills and experience
You will be part of:
- a very committed and energetic team that
- develops a new and
- world-wide unique technology to make
- graphene, ‘the wonder material of the 21st century’
- by converting a greenhouse gas, thereby helping to save the planet.
What could be more rewarding?
- Regular bonding activities [like charity runs, design challenges, dinners, etc] and
- our employees enjoy free car parking.
You’ll be based in our beautiful new 2500 m2 lab and office building off Newmarket Road close to the historic city centre of Cambridge with its plentiful offers of art, entertainment and sporting facilities and right by the picturesque Cam river conservatory.
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of gender and ethnic group but, as women are currently under-represented in our engineering team, we would like to strongly encourage their applications. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Salary is negotiable based on experience.
To contact us about this role please send your CV and a cover letter detailing your hands-on work experience. Please only email if you meet ALL of the ‘absolute musts’ criteria and demonstrate your suitability according to the points listed there.
Please submit your application by 5 December 2016.